At Okee we love retrofitting electrical add-ons, like; spot lights, reversing sensors, and dash cams. When the work is completed correctly these upgrades can be a good addition to your pride and joy. However sometimes we come across a poor installation and in this case, a potentially dangerous one.
Our Client was at her local supermarket when smoke started to pour out from under the bonnet and dashboard of her vehicle. She quickly exited her vehicle and called the RAC for recovery services. Once the vehicle had been towed to Okee it didn’t take long for us to find the cause - a poorly routed live feed wire had been trapped between a front spot light and its mounting bracket. Over time the wire had become exposed and shorted, and this in turn allowed excessive current to flow - melting all the relating wiring (see picture).
The original technician installed these lights without fitting a fuse, which is not recommended and something we would never do at Okee. We removed all the existing wiring and started again, making sure wires were routed safely and the system was fused correctly. Back on the road in no time!
If you have any electrical issues give us ring today
Ben Grave, Mark Lawson